Saturday, October 2, 2010

Dispatch: Galena, IL

Who am I, how did I get here and what am I doing? My sense of normalcy feels stripped away. It’s as if crossing American at between 80 – 120 mph has blurred more than my peripheral vision. I arrived at the Fireball Run without expectation, but leave with a honed sense of competition, companionship, and camaraderie. I’ve learned lessons in trust, teamwork and tolerance. In doing so I believe that I have reconnected with a primal instinct.
The only real competition today was the drag races. Well, if you call watching Ron and Diane’s red Diablo disappear down the track as if I were sitting still competition. Ah well, I still hit 91.4 mph which I think is awesome for a quarter mile. On my second run I got my revenge on Kenny Greene’s Smart Car.  
With family business completed John joined me for the last day of the Fireball Run in picturesque Galena, IL. It was good to see him again. Together we drove downtown where the city pulled out all of the stops. Hundreds, if not thousands, gathered for one last look at the fabulous lineup of exotic, erotic foreign and domestic automobiles. It didn’t hurt that we were competing in the same space for the local Oktoberfest celebration, or that the two eventually blended.
Our final party was yet another hors d'oeuvre buffet. That surprised me because I thought that JJ would pull out all of the stops and ensure that our final impression was satisfying and memorable. Finally, awards real and imagined were distributed. It was great fun and I believe that whether you came in first or last, in the final analysis we were all winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment