Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dispatch: Seven Miles High

This great land passed in a blur of competition as beautiful, finely tuned automobiles filled with amazing competitors turned heads, brought squeals of laughter from little children and drew crowds wherever we happened to pass or park. The caravan of Lamborghinis, Corvettes, Camaros, and other exotic cars domestic and foreign, futuristic and ancient became the sole focus of our lives as we gamed our way to the finish line in little Galena, IL.
The past eight days have been so intensely focused upon the moment that the real world seemingly ceased to exist. That president Obama’s Chief of Staff resigned meant nothing when compared to completing the next bonus round before the competition. My hometown Giants seem headed to the National League Championship playoffs, but that is insignificant when one is seeking “the future birthplace of Captain James P. Kirk”. I felt extreme exhilaration as my beautiful green Camaro regularly topped 100 mph and my partners and I became dependent upon each other to make our marks, out strategize the competition, and be as close as possible to the top of the leader board when we put our keys in our pockets and walked away from overworked automobiles at the end of each day.
In retrospect, it is amazing that there weren’t more mishaps. Some of the teams got tickets, but nobody was caught driving in excess of 95 mph. There was only one flat tire, one altercation that nearly came to blows, and no accidents. When the Back to the Future DeLoreon broke down with no spare parts available, the Green Hornet and Doc Harmony got a trailer and pulled them with their Excursion for two days until we got to Cedar Rapids where parts had been shipped. The competition remained at a high level as we put 2,800 miles on the odometer. Cheating and poor sportsmanship were at a minimum.
I was afraid that I would be sitting in a car for 8 to 10 hours every day digesting fatty food, without an opportunity to exercise. However, as my aching body will attest, I did more running and climbing these past days than I have engaged in many, many years. The food was cheap and unappetizing so I was able to control my diet without consciously trying. If I don’t see another hamburger, pulled pork sandwich, tub of potato salad, pot of beans or brick of scrambled eggs for 6 months I will be a happy man.
If one is going to be truly competitive in the Fireball Run one needs physical training, viable preliminary research, a friend with a cell phone at a computer or constant internet connectivity, a GPS tracking device, a good car, and some good fortune. Although Team Polly neither won nor placed near the top my good fortune came in the form of a beautiful Camaro that was loaned to me by General Motors and the two men who rode with me and were my partners at different times during the competition.
I have never before spent this much time away from Violet during the 26 years that we have been together. I can hardly wait to see her at the airport later this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment